Firefox will update to version 57 on November 14th, 2017.
Pin4Ever and many other Firefox extensions will no longer work in Firefox after this Firefox update.
To keep the Pin4Ever program and Pinterest tools working after the upcoming Firefox update, you will need to choose one of these three options:
Instructions for each of these options will be given below, as well as instructions for what to do if your Firefox has already updated to 57.
Firefox 57 which will be released on November 14, 2017 will otherwise prevent Pin4Ever’s program and tools from working properly. Many software developers and computer professionals are calling the planned update Firefox’s “death” or “suicide,” since it will prevent thousands of programs which people enjoy and depend upon from functioning, and eliminate the major reason why people have chosen to use the Firefox browser in the past. Pin4Ever is unable to work in the newer Firefox 57 WebExtensions as they are much more limited and can only do what Chrome extensions do. There is no way to rewrite Pin4Ever to work this way and continue to offer the same tools we have now.
We are exploring possible long-term solutions, which may include a complete rewrite of the Pin4Ever program. There’s also a possibility that Firefox will receive so many complaints about their planned update that they will change their minds and allow legacy programs like Pin4Ever to continue to run.
Meanwhile, using one of the three options listed above – the Waterfox browser, the Palemoon browser, or staying with Firefox 56 — will allow our customers to continue to use the Pin4Ever tools as usual.
Option 1: Install and Use the Waterfox Browser
WaterFox will run the original Firefox extensions, including Pin4Ever, on Windows, Mac, and Linux:
The WaterFox installer will allow you to import all existing Firefox profile details including the Pin4Ever add-on. Just select that you want to import from Firefox when you install WaterFox.
Option 2: Firefox 56 with Updates Disabled:
- To stay in Firefox 56 and keep it from updating, enter this in the URL bar:
- Then type in each of the following “Preference Names”, one at a time:
And set them to a value of “false“, not “true“. You can double-click on the entire setting to toggle its value.
Once these are set, Firefox will not auto-update.
DO NOT SELECT HELP -> ABOUT from the Firefox menu, as this also will check for the latest update of Firefox and cause an automatic update.
DO NOT REINSTALL FIREFOX with the latest version, as this will give you Firefox 57+, which does not run Legacy Extensions like Pin4Ever.
If your Firefox has already updated to version 57, please follow these steps to install Firefox 56:
- Back up your Firefox profile first, as a precaution.
- Go to Mozilla’s Firefox 56.0.2 archive page here: http://download.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/firefox/releases/56.0.2/
- Click the Dir link for your computer’s operating system (Windows, Mac or Linux).
- On the page that appears, click the Dir link for your language/country from the list.
- On the new page which appears, click the File “Firefox Setup 56.0.2.exe” link (Windows) or File “Firefox 56.0.2.dmg link” (Mac) or File “firefox-56.0.2.tar.bz2” (Linux) to download it.
- Exit Firefox and then uninstall it. Make sure to remove the Firefox installation directory.
- Install the older Firefox version. You can install Firefox in the same location to minimize any side effects. For example, the Windows registry or other installed programs may expect Firefox to be in the default location (e.g., C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox or C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox on 64-bit Windows).
Pin4Ever was originally launched as a downloadable Java program for computers in September of 2012, which allowed customers to save a backup copy of their Pinterest boards and pins to their own computers. We added an Android phone version of the Pin4Ever backup soon after.
Over time, based on customer requests and our efforts to anticipate and create the tools a Pinterest pinner most needs, we added the Bulk Editing tools (Move, Copy, Delete, and Rearrange multiple pins in one step), Pin Anything, Bulk Upload of images, Power Follow, and several other tools. To allow us to create these tools, the Pin4Ever program was rewritten as a Firefox browser extension or add-on, which was compatible with PCs, Macs, and Linux computers.
We appreciate your support of Pin4Ever these past five years, and we look forward to continuing to offer helpful Pinterest tools for you to use in the future.
Please repin this image to bookmark these instructions, and help spread the word: